The Psychology of Lettering: How to Find the Right Font for Your Logodesas@admin
Effective advertising can reach potential customers in ways that they are not even consciously aware of. Think about Disney for example. Its stable of lovable characters is designed to make us smile and revisit the child in us. But Disney does this in another way too. They do it with the font they use to illustrate the word “Disney” itself. In fact, this font is so unique that it is known as “Waltograph.” The font itself brings about the idea of childhood in a creative way. However, Waltograph is not the only font type that effectively works on the psychology of the viewer. Many fonts do the same. As you are creating your logo and are considering its color, orientation, etc., you should consider the psychology of font. To help you better understand what we mean, here are some fonts and the emotions that they evoke in all of us.
- -Script: This font is often associated with elegance and femininity. Script is a commonly used font among greeting card companies. Examples of companies that use script in their logo include Coca-Cola, Ford and Johnson & Johnson.
- -Modern: Modern fonts tend to be associated with things that are progressive, stylish and cool. It has a futuristic sense to it and many brands use it to convince people that their product is edgy and new. It appeals to our desire to want the latest things. Modern font types include Futura, Bedini, Orgreave, Bodoni and Empire. Companies that use modern fonts in their logo include Red Bull and Calvin Klein.
- -Courier New: This font type is known as a ‘monospaced’ font. It is associated with people or ideas that are “dull,” “plain,” and “unimaginative.” (This is why you should be mindful of the font type you use.)
- -Serif: This font is associated with things that are stable and traditional.
- -Modern Display: This font is used to express a sense of masculinity and boldness.
In short, before you use a particular font in your logo, consider how it has been used by advertisers in the past. Think about whether or not the feelings you wish to evoke in your customers fits your product or service. Design a sign can help you by giving you the ability to custom design logos using various fonts and sizes. We even do custom boat lettering.