Boat lettering is something most boat owners know very well. Whether you had someone install your boat lettering or installed your own boat lettering. If you have recently purchased a boat and you are thinking about a name for your boat, save a couple of bucks and some time waiting for your local sign shop and do it yourself!
This process is a lot easier then you think, most boat lettering is done in vinyl lettering, other wise known as vinyl boat lettering. Vinyl boat lettering is easer to install and lasts longer than paint. There are plenty of places to get your vinyl boat lettering, you could go to your local sign shop with your design (sign shops will produce this faster then a full install because they do not have to leave there building), another place where you could get your vinyl boat lettering is online. There are plenty of great websites where your design and order your vinyl boat lettering from your desktop in the comfort of your home.
A couple things you need to do before you go to your local sign shop or online and order your vinyl boat lettering.
- Make sure you have the exact size that the vinyl boat lettering (height & width)
- Know the color you would like to use for your vinyl boat lettering
- Decide if you would like to add any effects like a shadow or outline and a color for those effects if you choose
- Do not forget to leave room for a Port (example Miami FL), if your vinyl boat lettering is going on the back of the boat.
- And of course make sure you have your name with proper spelling.
After you receive your vinyl boat lettering they are pretty easy to install. First make sure the area is clean, and then take the decal, which should have a transfer paper on the front. You should put the decal on the back of the boat hinge with masking tape. Measure each side of vinyl boat lettering from bottom of a letter that is the same or has the same straight edge (Leave backing on Vinyl boat lettering for this process).
Once you are happy with your measurements put one long strip of masking tape across top, lift vinyl piece of lettering up peal off backing then squeegee down (you should be able acquire a squeegee online or at a local hardwood store). Peal off transfer paper and you are done.